Thursday, September 25, 2008

Its all in the timing

When I was enrolling in a course this morning, I asked the man how to get to the campus. He said it was about 8 minutes from the tube station.

It made me realise how rushed everyone in London is. Obviously this is nothing new as people love to say "oh London, its so hectic, everyone's is so rude and ALWAYS in a rush". But so rushed we are that when asked how far something is, we rarely say a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute walk but find it more favourable to say an 8 minute walk or a 3 minute walk. 

In most other instances we might round up to the nearest 5 or 10, but not when it comes to one's proximity to public transport. When I lived with my parents I would think nothing of walking 20 minutes into town, but I wouldn't dream of doing that in London. Because conversely if something is father away than we would like in London and we would prefer to get a bus but know its a bit lazy we exaggerate the time, so a 20 minute walk becomes half an hour. 

No comments: