Monday, August 3, 2009

What ails me

I started finding it difficult to breathe. 

Breathing became something I thought about all the time occasionally having to remind myself to inhale.  

This is a strange sensation akin to when some says "think about blinking!" Suddenly this is all you can think about and you start blinking repeatedly like someone who has just been woken up by having a bright light shone in their face.

The lack of breathing had been causing me to have nightmares about asphyxiation and occasionally I'd feel faint, so I thought, I'll go to the doctors, that's what I'll do. So I did.

I told the doctor what was happening, he stethoscoped me and said with some ambiguity, "You have  a noise on your lung" he did not extrapolate as to what kind of noise, was it a hiss or a rattle or a disconcerting whistle? We shall never know for he did not say. "This indicates you have a lung infection."

I looked at him blankly as he gave me a prescription for penicillin

"Thank you" I said not thinking to ask any questions. "I've been feeling pretty..."

"...Crappy" he interrupted.

"Yes" I said.

"Right, well thanks for coming in and sorry you're feeling so shit!"

"Erm..thanks" He nodded and smiled and showed me the door.

2 comments:

artquest1 said...

My guess is, that he had a magic stethoscope - he could not only hear your lung sounds, but he was probably picking up some ambient signals from a nearby radio, perhaps a bit of reggae, and also listening to bits and snatches of your thoughts.
Will you be going back to him, perhaps with a recorder?
Bob

Unpaid Intern said...

As in the musical instrument, the recorder? so I could go and jam with the sound of my lung? That would be tremendous!